Wednesday 15 July 2009

Where are we now? - the weigh-in

So, in order to make improvements, we firstly need an honest assessment of where we stand. In the past I've participated in, or just tried, many sports. Rugby has always been my main passion, but I've boxed, kick-boxed, run for fun, run for charity, played football amongst fairly decent amateur players, held my own in the work squash leagues and enjoyed cricket. I think the fittest I ever got in my 30's though was when I joined a surf life boat team and was training with them. One of the guys had me on the ergometer every other night getting my stroke right and I was either up swimming or rowing pretty early most mornings.
Anyway, I'm claiming a fairly decent knowledge of how the body works and have devised my own wee fitness test for the purposes of this exercise.

BMI

At rugby clubs up and down the land overweight, over-opinionated twats (I know! I know! but hey it's my blog!) will tell you that the BMI isn't a very good measure of their physique. That's because they're mainly fat doughnut loving beer monsters who would rather shovel another sausage roll down their gullet than face the truth.
Anyway, I weighed in at 88.85 Kg (I've been worse though!) and measure up at 1.69m (no sniggering at the back!) which gives me a BMI of 30.99, comfortably in the obese category. I need to drop down to 85Kg, just to be only 'overweight'.

Treadmill Fitness test

I've always been a bit sceptical about these, but let's see how it goes with the 5 minute VO2 test.
Estimated V02 - 44.1 above average.
Surprisingly not bad, but perhaps the remnants of what might once have been described as a decent engine in footballing parlance... we'll see!

Press-ups

Back in the day, I wouldn't have considered pulling on my boots unless I was capable of doing 3 sets of 50 press-ups in a minute, with a 30 second break. Now I've decided to use 25 press-up sets and see how many I can do.
23 press-ups - Not even 1 complete set - oh dear! ;-(

Dips

Dips are measured in sets of 10 with no time limit, just do them and have a break of no more than 30 sec before the next set.
6 dips - oh dear! ;-(

Pull-ups (Chin ups)

I've always been shithouse at these anyway, but only 2 using the underhand grip.
Very poor ;-(

Rowing

The 4 minute O'Neil fitness test
4 minutes, Damper @ 7
903m
Way below average ;-(

Warm down


10 mins on the cross trainer but no stretches as the fire alarm went off.

No comments:

Post a Comment