Thursday 8 October 2009

Comfort Zone

I had apple crumble last night. Not just any apple crumble, but a particularly stupendously delicious home made apple crumble. It was created in the kitchen of one of the other mothers from my wife's ante-natal group with apples from her garden. I had it with Ambrosia Devon cream custard and it was superb. The thing is though, that sort of thing should really just be a wee treat, or even a reward for some other achievement, but it wasn't. It was just there in the fridge and I fancied some, so I had some. I don't regret it for an instant, but what it tells me is that I'm clearly operating in my comfort zone. For 2 weeks I worked tremendously hard and lost 2kg. It was hard to start, but once the losses came it was very rewarding. Since then I've been treading water and maintained the loss - that's a good thing I suppose! I've been going to the gym most lunchtimes and I am completely avoiding crisps and chips - tellingly not chocolate or apple crumble though!
It's clear though, if you want to lose weight, you need to move out of that comfort zone, forego the apple crumble, do some more serious cardio and weights work and shift the lard. Do it in short bursts, then try to maintain the loss is one possible approach - By default it's the one I've been taking anyway.
Next week I'm away to France for a week with work, then I'm going to play golf with some old friends at the weekend. That's not a good time to start a more serious burst of activity, but the week after certainly is. It's time to get out of the comfort zone and back to the grind for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment