Friday 15 February 2019

Deep Vein Thrombosis - the signs

Having established that I'd probably suffered a DVT sometime last Autumn, it slowly dawned on me that my body had been screaming this at me, but I'd ignored it.

In October at some point I had what I assumed was a calf cramp. I haven't suffered such an incident since I was in my 20s. Back in those days I did occasionally wake up in excruciating pain during the night - these are known as nocturnal cramps and the NHS have a page here, back then they were probably caused by the effects of rugby training in the deep mud that passed for Anchor Playing fields in Paisley. I brushed this incident off without considering fully that it's about 25 years since I had my last cramp like that, even if it did take a few days to feel like my calf was recovering - I put that down to old age - and I certainly hadn't been putting any great stress on my calfs in recent weeks.

I also noticed that my ankle was slightly swollen, socks were leaving much more pronounced marks around my ankles at the end of the day and I did consider that I might need to see the dr. about why that might be happening, then of course the swelling disappeared of it's own accord, so I did nothing about it - it seemed harmless.

Both of these signs are pretty major indicators that there was a DVT causing a blockage in my leg. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment